Communication is KEY!
Speak Up!
“When adults respond quickly and consistently to bullying behavior they send the message that it is not acceptable. Research shows this can stop bullying behavior over time” (StopBullying.gov, Stop Bullying on the Spot, 2019). Today I challenge parents to reach out to their child’s teacher and school administration. Are school staff aware that bullying is occurring? What is the school’s policy and what rights does your child have as a victim? This is a powerful approach that parents should use to support their children when bullying occurs.
Parents and educators have many shared values when it comes to bullying. Both parties value the importance of education, safe learning environments, and students’ success. Ongoing communication and adopting a united approach increases your chances of successfully advocating for your child. “It is important that parents and teachers are as committed to connecting with, guiding, and supporting school-age children as they grow because bullying becomes more sophisticated and harder to observe as children get older” (Swearer, It’s Our Responsibility to Keep Kids Safe, 2010). Approach school staff with the mindset that you have shared values and goals to eradicate bullying. School staffers are there to offer support and guidance as students navigate these difficult social situations.
Be proactive as you work with your child’s teacher and school administration in communicating your child’s needs. Allow your child the opportunity to express what type of support they’d like to receive from their teacher. Would they like daily check-ins, advice, or the teacher to intervene? It’s also useful for parents to review the school’s anti-bullying policies so you know what rights and services are available. Regular communication with administrators will also ensure that the school is adhering to their policies and remaining accountable in how they respond.
“Keeping an ongoing level of communication between the school and parents is one of the most effective means of addressing these problems early, rather than letting them get out of control” (Loveless, What Can We Do To Make Schools Safer, 2010). You are your child’s biggest advocate. Support your child by openly communicating with their teacher and school administration. Speak up now and request the support that your child deserves!
References
Loveless, B. (2010). Bullying Epidemic: Facts, Statistics and Prevention. Education Corner. https://www.educationcorner.com/bullying-fats-statistics-and-prevention.html
StopBullying.gov. (2022, March 29). Stop Bullying. Retrieved April 2, 2022, from https://www.stopbullying.gov/
Swearer, S. (2010). Bullying: What Parents, Teachers Can Do to Stop Bullying. American Psychological Association. Retrieved April 2, 2022, from https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2010/4/bullying
Image Sources
Beech Acres Parenting Center. (n.d.) Partner With Your Child’s Teacher to Address Bullying. [Photograph]. Beech Acres Parenting Center. https://beechacres.org/partner-with-your-childs-teacher-to-address-bullying/

I don't have any children but I do have a younger sister who has dealt with bullying, especially in high school where students form more cliques. Although I am her older sister, I can still be an advocate for her if issues arise again. Speaking to faculty members to stop such a damaging behavior will be my first priority!
ReplyDeleteJacqueline, I'm sorry to hear you sister is experiencing bullying. From what I've researched there's a shift after elementary school in how the victims of bullying respond. Elementary-aged children tend to feel ashamed and vulnerable when they are harassed by classmates. In middle and high schools, students are more likely to respond with frustration and a sense of injustice. Would you say that's how your sister feels about the bullying? It's not fair and I'm sorry to hear about. I'm sure she's grateful to have a supportive sister like you!
DeleteThe topic of bullying I feel is still quite controversial. My question is when do kids that constantly aggravate others and belittle them gain the label of a bully? I teach preschool and I have one student in particular who often aggravates his classmates. He will bother them non-stop and I have brought up the word bully a few times with him as I was tired of trying to explain to him that he will not gain friends when is constantly hurting his classmates and annoying them. I will follow your blog and continue to comment on your post as this is a topic that I am greatly interested in!
ReplyDeleteJennifer, That's a great question! Here's a link to the Arizona Attorney General's Anti-bullying website. They define bullying as "repeated behavior, or has the potential to be repeated, and is intended to hurt, harass or humiliate a fellow student" (Brnovich, 2022). So I'd say in the situation you're experiencing if the boy continues this behavior it would be fair to classify him as a bully. Please keep following the blog and I'd love to hear what steps you take to support him in making positive choices when interacting with his peers!
Deletehttps://www.azag.gov/outreach/anti-bullying
I think the problem with bullying in the schools is that many of the teachers struggle with having the time and energy to interject since the schools are so far behind with their education already.
ReplyDeleteYou are absolutely correct! Our amazing teachers really are tasked with juggling an incredible number of responsibilities- both academic and social! That's why it's crucial that you approach the topic of bullying with an inclusive, team-type attitude. Make sure the teacher knows you and your family are supportive and appreciative of her efforts to curtail the bullying in her classroom!
DeleteThis is a powerful blog so far and I love the passion that I can see throughout your posts!
ReplyDeleteThank you Brinda! It's definitely a passion project and I'm hoping that working together we can make real changes. Please share this blog with others you may know who work in the education field or parents who have elementary-aged children. I'd love to connect with more people, gain insight, and provide support!
Delete